A festival shows us the culture and culture take us to the flavors and aroma of food. Do you also think the same? Then probably you have landed in the right place. According to the Hindu calendar, Shravan is considered to be a very auspicious month and you will find many big and small Hindu rituals and festivals are celebrated during this month. Today I will be talking and sharing some Fresh coconut sweet recipes with you.
Rakshabandhan is celebrated worldwide, but how many of us know the mythological/historical stories related to it. Allow me to take a few minutes to bring these stories in light then we will move forward to our Fresh Coconut Sweet Recipes.
The very famous Mythological story
This is related to Mahabharata, where Lord Krishna’s finger was cut accidentally, Rukmani (Krishna’s wife) ordered the guards to get first aid. Draupadi who was witnessing the whole incident immediately torn a piece of her saree pallu and tied it on Lord Krishna’s finger. In return, Krishna promised Draupadi to help her in her odd time. He helped Draupadi when there was an evil act of disrobing Draupadi in front of everybody by dushasana. Krishna made her a never-ending saree and saved her from the embarrassment by giving her the protection. All this is history now but actually today we need that every man should have that feeling in heart what Krishna had for Draupadi. If this is done then only the world will be safer for Women again.
If you remember I mentioned above about Nariyal Purnima. Allow me to tell you something about it. It is a festival that is celebrated in the Western Ghats. Major Influence is seen amongst the Koli fisherman community. On this full moon night which occurs in the month of Shravan, the fishermen offer coconut (Nariyal) and garlands to the Sea. Also on this day, every house fills in with the aroma of fresh coconut sweet recipes. The sea is worshiped as God Varuna where these fishermen so that they can travel smoothly in the sea during fishing.
During this period no fishing is done because of the high tide in the sea so the coconut is offered to these heavy moving and very intense waves in a gesture to calm them down. There is also a belief that the direction and the strength of winds on this day are favorable for fishing and water-trades. So now let’s move towards the Recipes
Traditional Fresh Coconut Sweet Recipes:
Kesar Rice or Goad Bhaat (sweet Rice):
I know, I know many of you may not even like the thought of something that is “sweet Rice” many of the biryani lovers may reject this thought also! But trust me, guys, this recipe is worth a try!! (If this will not be offered to God then you can try the leftover Rice as well) but I will suggest taking freshly cooked rice to get a better taste.
- Rice (cooked) – 1 Cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Dry Fruits (Cashew[Kaju], Raisins)
- Kesar Strands – 3-4
- Cardamom and Nutmeg Powder
- Food Color (yellow/orange)
- Ghee – 1 Tbsp.
- Coconut – ½ cup (small pieces)
- Milk- 1 Tbsp.
- Fresh Grated Coconut – For Garnishing
- Take 1 cup rice and cook it before, once the Rice is cooked let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Take 1 tbsp. Milk and add a small amount (a pinch) of food color and Kesar to it. Mix this mixture thoroughly so that there are no lumps.
- Now, Take a plate and mix rice, sugar, and the mixture
- In the frying pan add 1 tbsp. Ghee
- Add Coconut and Cashew to it and fry it until slightly brown.
- Add Rice and sugar mixture to the pan and keep mixing it.
- Garnish it with freshly grated coconut and Serve hot.
Coconut Barfi OR Nariyal Ki Wadi :
This tops in my favorite dishes list since childhood. Today we have many gadgets to make our cooking simple but I have seen my grandmother using a coconut scraper to grate the coconut. She believed grating a coconut with the scraper preservers its taste as well as the tradition. Maybe if she would have been alive today she would have grated the coconut with the scraper only and made this dish. Rakhi Purnima marks her birthday as well so I dedicate this dish to her.
- Fresh Grated Coconut – 2 cups
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Cardamom – 1 tbs. (powdered)
- Ghee – for Greasing
- Take a Pan and add all the above ingredients (grated coconut, sugar, Cardamom powder) to it.
- Keep mixing until the sugar gets dissolved.
- Meanwhile, Take a place and grease it with ghee.
- Once the mixture is ready, put it in the Plate.
- Now tap and spread the mixture either with a spatula or with your hands.
- Let it set
- After 5 – 10 minutes take a knife and make pieces in the plate itself.
- Allow it to Rest, (you can refrigerate it as well)
- Once it is dried completely your barfi will be ready.
- Garnish it with some dry coconut and enjoy the dessert.
More Related Articles:
- Chocolate Barfi -A Must try Recipe!
- Make Tutti Frutti Step by Step at Home
- Paneer Bread Discs Recipe
- Lets Bake Some eggless Vanilla Cake
A super easy recipe to try hands on is this coconut Laddo recipe. I will be making it using milkmaid. You can make it and store it for a week and enjoy one every day throughout the week. Let’s look at this fresh coconut sweet recipe.
- Grated Fresh Coconut- 2 cups
- Grated Dry Coconut – 1 cup
- Milkmaid – 1 cup
- Cardamom (Powder) – 1 tbsp.
- Take a pan and add freshly grated coconut to it. Cook it until slightly brown.
- Add Cardamom powder and mix it.
- Now add milkmaid to it.
- Once the mixture is cooked, take it down the flame and let it cool
- Now start making balls from the cooled mixture
- Roll it over the grated dry coconut
- Ready to Serve!
Note: Remember all these are of fresh coconut sweet recipes, so they should be consumed within a week. They cannot be stored for more than 7-8 days.
So go ahead make and enjoy these recipes!!! Do comment below and let me know your take on them.
Aditi Koranne is a freelance content writer and founder of www.celebratingessence.com. She is passionate for writing on subjects like, Management, health, gardening, travel, recipes and many more. Also holds a hand of dexterity in delivering many commercial write-ups for various digital marketing agencies. She has completed her M.B.A in HR and Marketing and then joined a reputed HR Firm as a Recruiter to begin her career.
Being a spoken English and personality development trainer it was her privilege to train many students of various age groups. She believes that a woman can always overcome the obstacles and achieve her dreams. “Because every woman can” is her life’s mantra. Being a mother, a housewife she has found her career alternative without taking any break and now she is happily nurturing her baby along with her dreams.